Areas of Practice:
- Competition Law and Policy
- Corporate Law
- Capital Markets, Asset Management
About José Miguel:
José Miguel Azpúrua Alfonzo is an international attorney, admitted in California, New York and Venezuela. His practice has been predominantly oriented to advising and representing clients in cross-border matters related to competition law and policy, corporate affairs and capital markets.
Throughout his career, José Miguel has had the privilege of working with prominent firms in Caracas, Venezuela. For over five years, he served as executive director of a licensed Asset Management Company located in Geneva, Switzerland. There, he was responsible for negotiating and maintaining contractual relationships with important banking institutions, as well as designing investment products. He has also represented clients in turnkey projects for the operation of broker dealer, investment banking and asset management licenses in various jurisdictions.
More recently, José Miguel has focused on the cross-border dimension of Competition law and policy.
Before joining MTA, José Miguel served as Partner in the corporate law department of a leading law firm in Caracas, Venezuela.
- Doctor of Juridical Science (J.S.D.), Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, CA, United States of America (2018).
- Master of Science in Public Policy (M.Sc. P.P.), University College London, London, United Kingdom (2007).
- Master of Laws in Trade Regulation (LL.M.), New York University School of Law, New York, NY, United States of America (2006).
- Professional Certificate in Business (APC.LB.), New York University Stern School of Business, New York, NY, United States of America (2006).
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), New York University School of Law, New York, NY, United States of America (2005).
- Law Degree (Abogado), Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, Caracas, Venezuela (2004).
- New York
- Completed the degree-validation studies for admittance to legal practice in Colombia.
Relevant Academic Experience:
José Miguel was a Professor of Economic Analysis of Law at Universidad Monteávila (Caracas, Venezuela) for five years (2010-2014).
In 2015, José Miguel was appointed Visiting Scholar at Columbia Law School (New York, NY, United States of America), where he conducted research in behavioral law and economics.
He is also Co-Coordinator of the Ibero-American Institute of Law and Finance, representing Venezuela. In Colombia, José Miguel is part of the Competition Law and Industrial Property Studies Group (GEDCOP) of the Universidad de los Andes.
José Miguel has published over fifteen articles in various journals and publications. A representative list can be found at the Social Science Research Network (SSRN): https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=533177