Areas of Practice:
- Corporate Law
- Privatizations, Mergers & Aquisitions
- Financial Law
- Project Structuring and Infrastructure
Since founding the leading Bogotá Law firm in 1995, Diego Muñoz Tamayo has played a leading role in the field of public sector privatizations in Colombia, envisioning pioneering strategies to resolve challenges in uncharted areas. Developing a practice that focuses on corporate transactional business law, he is recognized for his exceptional talent in putting together complex deals, and his acumen when advising clients on strategic business negotiations. He has also participated in landmark cases in the health sector, arbitration and finance law.
For over 7 years, Diego was a Law Professor at the Universidad de los Andes, one of the country’s top universities, where he taught courses on Foreign Exchange Regulations, Negotiating Foreign Investment and External Debt, and International Contracts. Diego is known for his multicultural skills, capacity to bridge complex M&A transactions, ability to structure challenging project finance, and extensive experience in privatization.
- Master (M.Sc). in Public Policy in Latin America, University of Oxford, Saint Antony’s College, Oxford, United Kingdom (1986).
- LL.M. in International Financial Law, The London School of Economics and Political Science, London, United Kingdom (1985).
- Specialist in Commercial Law, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia (1983).
- Law Degree, Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia (1983).
- Law Degree with Social Sciences and Economics DEUG (BA equivalent), University of Paris II, Paris, France (1977).
When people say that Diego Muñoz Tamayo “wrote the book” on privatizations in Colombia, they’re not lying. Published in Bogotá in 2004, “Privatization in Colombia: The Legal Framework for the Transfer of State Property,” remains the most important doctrinal source on the topic today. He has also published many articles on the financial sector and on topics such as Colombia’s foreign debt and judicial and procedural aspects of public credit in Colombia.
His publications include the following:
- “Digital Revolution, Post-Capitalism and its impact in the world of Law”. Bogotá, 2016.
- “The Duty of Disclosure as a Protection Mechanism for Shareholders”. “In Legal Perspectives of the Colombian Corporate Governance”. Bogotá, 2006.
- “Privatization in Colombia: Legal Framework for the Transfer of State Property”. Bogotá, 2004.
- “The Anti-creditor Bias in Guarantee Contracts and Law 550, 1999 Restructuring Processes”. In “The Financial Sector in the 21st Century”. Bogotá, 2002.
- “The Services Contract with Investment Bankers in Privatizations”. In “Financial Management”, Bogotá, 2000.
- “Reflections on the Renegotiation of the Colombian External Debt”. Oxford, 1986.
- “Notion, Legal Nature and Characteristics of External Loan Contracts”. Bogotá, 1983.
- “Legal and Procedural Aspects of Public Credit in Colombia”. Bogotá, 1982.
- Interconexión Eléctrica S.A. 2021
- Gas Natural S.A. E.S.P. (now Naturgy), 2017
- Suramericana S.A., 2002-2011.
- Münchener de Colombia S.A, 1997 – 2011.
- Inversiones Rendiles S.A, 2008 – present.
- Publications Semana, 1999-2008.
- Grupo Publicaciones Latinoamericanas S.A., 2001.
- Pensiones y Cesantias Colpatria, 1995-1999.
- Propescol S.A, 1990-1993.
- Sofasa S.A, 1987-1989.
- Cerro Matoso S.A, 1986-1989.